Saturday, May 26, 2012

Blog Entry #5 - Sustainable Farming




What are the major elements of "sustainable" farming? How are ecological principles woven into this framework? Do you buy organic or "naturally" labeled foods? Why or why not? 

I buy organic foods from Fresh Market because they seem fresher, better, for some reason… I don’t like the look of target’s pre-packaged 1lb meat containers, because they look too perfect to be made in the store. I don’t argue the fact that one could live a completely healthy life on inorganic foods. There is NO reason that organic farming cannot be synonymous with sustainable farming with the rapid expansion of technology and the growing market for organics worldwide. Large organic companies are lowering prices and entering Wal-Mart, Target, etc… making more money, and remaining organic, while being able to be “healthy for consumers, does not harm the environment, is humane for workers, respects animals, provides a fair wage to the farmer, and supports and enhances rural communities.” The only real issue I see that organic farming faces is the lower yield vs traditional farming and higher prices. I certainly don't buy everything organically, because it costs too much. Obviously, not all places are suitable for growing food, so not all cities can produce their own, and have to buy it from a distance. Organic food CAN be sustainable, it is not necessarily sustainable.


Do you feel connected or disconnected to the current food system? If there were space on campus, would you be interested in growing your own vegetables (or, if the thought of vegetables makes you wince, fruit instead)?


I feel nearly completely disconnected from the current food system. I NEVER see where my food comes from. I don't buy from farmer's markets that often, but even when I do, I have never actually put my hands on the fruits or vegetables at the farm. If there was space on campus, I still would probably not farm my own produce. I simply don't have the time to drive to campus to grow and tend to my own vegetables, and then harvest them. I may consider growing a small plot of produce for myself when I move into a house of my own, where I can tend to the garden nearby. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment