Friday, May 11, 2012

Blog Entry #2 - Campus Walk

Your musings on the campus walk...

Here's the sign upon entering the Nature Trail at FGCU.


Here is a picture of the canopies of a few palm trees.


I took Biology of Southwest Florida, which was very similar as far as topics and field-trip locations as this one. We learned about the "Air Plant" in that class, and I knew I had stumbled upon one here.


Here is some of the wildlife we saw that day!


You can see more pictures HERE

 and the selection of this site for the FGCU campus...


I think from an environmentally conscious standpoint, the school chose a great location for the university. We have nature trails and wooden bridges built over wetlands and solar powered garbage compactors!






Is it consistent with the “eco-empowerment” mission of the university? Or is it entirely incompatible? Why or why not? Does your particular background predispose you to a certain viewpoint?

Eco-empowerment is all about controlling decisions based on their impact on the environment. Florida Gulf Coast is the most environmentally conscious, "eco-empowered" school I have ever known. I have taken classes, like Biology of Southwest Florida, that have made me more aware of the ecosystem that surrounds me. From the dorms overlooking the beaches to the frisbee golf course through the woods, FGCU is focused on their footprint on Earth.



Even the main page at the school website has this kid holding a plant!

I don't think my background gives me a viewpoint on eco-empowerment because it is just really about being aware of your impact on the environment, and realizing that everything that you do has an impact on the environment.




0 comments:

Post a Comment