Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blog Post #9 - Is Energy Too Cheap?

Energy is too cheap. There is an obvious need for the way that we consume energy (ie... gas, fossil fuels, coal, etc...) The unfortunate thing is that as energy prices drop (which, right now they are the lowest that they have been in a while), the incentive to find an alternative energy source is lessened. 


Conservation isn't a dirty word. Some ignorant people who believe that there isn't anything wrong with what we are doing to the environment and the natural world because they don't see the effect their behavior has on it. Without an active effort for conservation of our earth's natural resources, the world will be over-harvested and polluted.


Jimmy Carter's effort to reduce energy consumption while broadcasting to millions of viewers was great. He wore his cardigan during his famous "fireside chat" because he was lowering his consumption by keeping the heat turned down.


I think it is up to private investors to increase the use of alternative energy. The government can regulate consumption and require standards for technology, but the process is just so slow. By the time the government intervenes and passes laws, damage has already been done. If the prices of oil went up drastically enough, it would cause gasoline consumption to fall, and cause people to invest in alternative energy. 


Nuclear energy is our best bet for renewable energy. While the short-term costs are high, the benefits in the long-term (I believe) outweigh them. Nuclear power plants can power huge areas , unlike other popular alternatives like wind and solar energy. Huge solar fields are required to power any substantial area (especially vs. nuclear). 


I can take a lot of steps to reduce my carbon footprint in the upcoming days and years. I can reduce my water consumption by taking shorter showers, and decrease my power consumption by unplugging appliances and lamps and telephone chargers, and decrease my fuel consumption by driving less. In the longer-term, I plan on building an environmentally friendly home, and drive a fuel efficient car. I hope to live relatively close to work so that I can even further decrease my energy use. This will not only save me money, but help takes steps to a better environment.





0 comments:

Post a Comment